Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Drinking Wine & Killing Time

Obama is on the tube and I'm getting a little restless sitting here doing nothing. Just sitting and watching the constant clapping is making me fidget so hopefully the wine will kick in soon....

I was asked today by my sister Donna what was the significance of my blog title, or as I like to say to my friends at work, " 'Sup w/dat?" (It's sounds funnier coming out of my mouth.)

"Trains Move" is an homage to my mantra. You probably didn't know I even had one, but I do and I tell it to myself on a daily basis. The phrase Trains Move means- Be in the Moment.

Let me explain when this started. One day when I was living in Boston and riding the "T", (that's their version of the Metro fellow DC'ers), I started observing the people on the train. Now I don't know about any of you guys but I have a system when I get on the train. I get on and I look around. My ideal spot depending on if it's rush hour or not is right against the door. Why not, right? I'm only on the metro for 2 stops. This of course was a system I developed after analyzing what side the doors open and riding the train for a bit to get a feel for the DC riders. I can't always do this though, especially in the mornings when we're packed in their like sardines. However, I always maintain the same requirements. I need something to hang onto no matter where I stand; I need a pole. I would think most people would require the same accessory, but alas I watch in amazement as they are proved wrong EVERY time.
On this particular night in Boston I was standing and hanging onto my pole and a group of tourists and BU students hop on and stand right in the middle of the train and not a one is hangin' on. For those of you that have never been on the T you should know one thing, it's old and it's makes lots and lots of turns and jolts. The metro feels like its being guided by angels in comparison.
So this group hops and oddly enough the TRAIN MOVED. Do you know what happened? They all got knocked the 'eff over. I kid you not. Some of them had head phones on, some of them were texting, some were just staring off into space. The point of this story is simple: They were all so busy being in their own little world that they didn't take their head's out of their asses long enough to realize they just stepped on a train. As one of them picked themself off of the woman she landed on I looked at her and said without even thinking, "trains move". I have no idea where it came from but I was compelled to express the obvious because clearly none of them knew what the hell just hit them.

Be in the moment.
The train will move.
The light will change.
The elevator door will close....unless of course you're standing their holding the button.

I took from this experience to always tell myself, I can stay in my own crazy little hemisphere when I'm in the comforts of my own home. But the minute I step foot outside I'm in a public space and it's totally up for grabs what could possibly happen at any moment. That's why you need to be aware, you need to have your head up and you need to be in the moment.

It's amazing how easy it is to forget this simple mantra. Believe me, I still do from time to time. And after I screw up I'm reminded of that tricked out scene on the T and visualize the sea of legs and arms scrambling on the floor. Then I quietly repeat my mantra to myself.

Trains move, so you better hold on tight.



Work Hard-Play Harder-Laugh the Hardest

No comments:

Post a Comment