Monday, November 9, 2009

Surfing Lessons 101

Up until 2 weeks ago I was unemployed for 2 months.

I feel extremely fortunate in this economy to have found a job, in my field that did not require me to take drastic measures. Like anyone who has been in this situation, I had my share of ups and downs. I realized that it was equally important for me to socialize during this time period as it was for me to be surfing the web incessantly looking for a job. It's very easy to "hermitize" oneself and occupy your day with useless chores that don't really amount to anything or provide any gratification.

One ritual that I started was walking. I made myself get outside everyday for a walk in my neighborhood. It was nice to stroll down streets with no agenda or means of a shortcut, but simply to walk and to breathe fresh air. I always passed someone along the way who would say hi or a happy dog who greeted me with a wagging tail. Though these moments were fleeting, they were sometimes the extent of any human contact and real conversation that I would have for the day. Walking kept me engaged and forced me to interact in my community.

As the saying goes, "When you are given lemons you make lemonade", I too learned to adapt and use one of my greatest assets, my ingenuity. Entertainment can be expensive, especially in a city like DC, but it doesn't have to be that way. Below is a list of things that I discovered which brought me a sense of joy or a smile to my face. I want to share it in hopes that it will inspire you to look for the happiness in simplicity:

1. Pandas at The National Zoo: FREE I could watch these black and white creatures for hours. Their innocence and playfulness is a relaxing way to spend a half hour or an afternoon; I've done both.

2. Friday Night Movies on Bravo: FREE (w/cable) "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You Have Mail" have entertained me more often then I can remember.

3. Cleveland Park Wine & Spirits Friday Night Wine Tastings: FREE I think that pretty much speaks for itself. I was able to sample some new wine and chat with people like me who love wine; enough said.

4. Ice Water at Happy Hours: FREE A lot of networking events are focused on Happy Hours. If you're not careful you could blow a lot of money going to three or more a week. I learned that ice water is just as appropriate to carry around as a glass of wine. I've never been so hydrated, my skin looked decent for once and the constant trips to the ladies room always gave me an out to exit one conversation and enter a new one.

5. Celeste Frozen Pizzas. I love these things! My friend Laurin introduced them to me. They make me think of her when I heat one up and they are usually on sale 5 for 5dollars. Now that's a deal.

6. Red Box Movies at Giant: $1.99

7. The National Cathedral: FREE Many afternoons I would walk up to the Cathedral and find a quiet corner to sit and absorb the feeling of being so small in a structure that is so big. The Rose Gardens outside are also another favorite thinking spot.

8. Facial Packets from CVS: $2.00 I have no idea what brand they are but I find them in the skin care aisle at CVS. For $2 you get two applications of a mud mask or seaweed treatment. If I close my eyes, put on Enya and light some scented candles to drown out the disgusting food my neighbor upstairs cooks everyday, I can pretend I'm at a spa.

9. Pepperidge Farm Mint Milanos: $2.49. The best cookie ever invented hands down.

10. A new song from iTunes: .99 All it takes is a new song or an old favorite to remind us of happier times and our mood totally changes.


Sometimes, the boundaries of happiness are limited only by the parameters of our imagination and the courage to explore our curiosity.

1 comment: