Monday, September 14, 2009

I've Got Madd Skillz!

Sometimes when I'm writing I like to pretend that I'm speaking to the masses and everyone I know reads this blog religiously so you're aware of my day-to-day trials and triumphs. I know I'm reaching high with that goal, so to keep all of you up to speed I was recently laid off. Nothing unusual there as I'm sure some of you are in the same predicament as me.

The day I departed my firm I asked the gentlemen who were laying me off, exactly what I could have done to avoid this and why I was on that list. Their response to me was, "We looked at the work coming in and had to best match it up according to each employee's skill level." I squinted, stared, paused for a second and said, "So are you saying after 3 years my skills are no longer useful?" They quickly retracted their comment and admitted that it didn't come out the way they intended it, but it was too late the damage was done. My ego was pulverized into a million little pieces and then scattered all over the conference table waiting to get swept up and dumped in the trash.

I've spent some time thinking about the skills that I have and what other jobs I could acquire without obtaining any further education. I think two markets that I seriously need to pursue are the Game Show and Reality Show sectors. I would kick ass at Wheel of Fortune and for reality shows I would love to participate in The Amazing Race. (That requires a partner and I'm not sure who I could pair with?)

The other great skill I have is cleaning. I've consider advertising for a service where someone cooks for me and I clean up after, and we both split the costs of food. I don't know of anyone looking for this service but if you know of someone who would be interested you should let me know. Initially I probably wouldn't be able to pay just because I'm seriously stretched for dollars right now, but once I'm back on my feet I can definitely hand over some Benjamin's or George's.

Other skills include: crossword puzzles, name-that-tune, movie quotes, people watching, recycling, hitting snooze, burning popcorn, screaming at spiders, opening wine, dispensing hand sanitizer, eliminating non-sense, telling people when they're rude, holding doors for people, saying thank you, smiling like I mean it, finding good coffee and holding a one-armed push-up for 5 minutes, (no not really).

I may not be able to get paid for any of those skills, but they are skills. Not having a project that I could apply those skills to at my former office, well then, that's their loss. Lots of money to be made these days screaming at spiders.

I use to end each post with, "Work Hard, Play Harder, Laugh the Hardest". But I'm not so sure working hard really pays off anymore? Laughing however, reaps instant rewards and gives your core a good workout, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment