Monday, March 28, 2011

Growin' Up in the 70's Ain't So Bad in Retrospect

Every morning while I get ready for work I watch/listen to the Today Show. I've done this for years. Sometimes I hear part of a story and try to find a way to continue getting ready while standing in the living room without a mirror in front of me. The results have been disastrous at times: hair getting sucked up into my blow dryer, mascara all over my face and lipstick that clearly went outside the "lines". Today I was drawn into the story about the Abercrombie & Fitch padded bikini for young girls. For those of you who may have missed it:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42303863#42303863


This story made me think about a lot of things. If you're reading this and think it doesn't impact you b/c you don't have children of your own, you're wrong. Social problems are everyone's problem to deal with b/c we're all in this together. Does our society really condone a 7 year old wearing a padded bikini top? My first thought was picturing what a conversation would be like with my Mom if I were to ask for a padded bikini top. Seeing that I had to wait until the 6th grade to get my ears pierced, I'm pretty sure the answer would have been No. I've seen the pictures of my sister and I in our bathing suits. Sure a little padding at the top would have helped things out, but we were kids. Isn't that one phase of life where you can run around and not worry about being sexy? As you can see below, my top was very baggy. Padding would have solved that problem, but who was looking at me anyway?


My second thought was wondering what I would say to my 7 year old daughter if she asked for a padded bikini top. Grant it I don't have to worry about that, but if put in that situation how would I respond? Is it ok for a young girl to wear padding in her bikini? Though I don't think there would be a direct correlation between future promiscuity or prostitution or even losing their virginity at a younger age, I do think we are sending a big message in a little package.

Everyone knows why women pad their bras. We learn at young age that having large boobs is what is considered attractive and the ideal. I remember when I was going through puberty and wondering, "when is it gonna happen to me?" (Good thing I started focusing on something else or I would still be sitting in Cayuga, NY waiting.) It didn't happen for me and I didn't have a padded bikini top to help me through it either. I remember being teased in high school for being as "flat as a board". Sure it hurt my feelings because I wasn't like the other girls in my class who had boobs, but I realized something. I didn't want them because I wanted them , I wanted them because I thought it was going to give me something in return, be it acceptance, attention or a boyfriend. When it came down to it I was content with the shape I was given. I think that's a lesson all young girls need to realize. There is no right or wrong shape; we're all different and that is not only normal, but beautiful.

My answer to my daughter would definitely be No. But to make her feel better I would then remind her that if she ends up looking like me there will be plenty of opportunities in the future for padding. Lots and lots of opportunities.

My last thought was about how different it was growing up in the 70's. Life seemed a lot simpler. I didn't have a cell phone, a Facebook page or an email address. Everyone I needed to get in touch with was within walking or biking distance. I didn't text. I rode my bike. Wardrobe decisions were not decisions, but yes or no answers. Clothes were colorful and comfortable not attention getting. I watched shows like Three's Company, The Brady Bunch and on Fridays I watched the Dukes of Hazzard with my brother Rich. There was no Jersey Shore or Bravo or America's Next Top Model.

I read in a greeting card at a friend's wedding shower over the weekend that the average bride makes 175 decisions. How many does the average parent make over the lifetime of a child? I don't know how parents keep up with all of it. So many decisions, so many things to worry about...at what age should we let them have a Facebook page...a cell phone...a laptop...and now... when are they allowed to wear a padded bikini top?

Where does it end and most importantly, what's next? Parents of today I applaud you. You have the biggest responsibility in the world and there's no manual or crash course to teach you. I smile when thinking about the decisions my Mom had to make when dressing me for school: "What color animal barrettes are you going to put in my hair?" I'm happy to know she was spared having to contemplate to pad or not to pad.

Child of the 70's:
















Child of today:














"Life isn't about learning to climb the hill in front of us, it's about learning to navigate the entire mountain range" -Mw

No comments:

Post a Comment