Thursday, June 12, 2014


The Deviled Egg Quest

This morning I made deviled eggs before I went to work. I put them in the fridge and upon getting home tonight I tried one.

It was A W E S O M E. I stood in my kitchen reveling over the leaps and bounds I had come when I first attempted the art of deviled eggs. Back in those days I didn’t even know which end of the egg was up. I had no idea what condiments to add, the spices, the quantity and let’s not even discuss how many times I messed up just cooking the eggs.

But tonight I was the victor, I prevailed! After I get done writing this post I’m going to edit my resume and under the skills section I’m going to add, (yes you guessed it), Deviled Egg Master!

I finally got it right! The eggs were cooked perfectly, not overcooked, not undercooked. My condiment quantities were an ideal composition of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. It was egg-traordinary!

But this story really isn’t about the eggs. There is a much bigger lesson to be learned. I knew I had the hidden talent in me to be a Deviled Egg Master and it certainly wasn’t going to be perfected in the first dozen or so tries. So I stuck with it, I tried different techniques. I changed things up, I researched, I chatted with other people about their deviled egg recipe. I never gave up on that deviled egg dream and in the end it never gave up on me either.

I read a quote the other day that said, “Success is about falling down 7 times and getting up 8 times.” It was from anonymous. I think anonymous was secretly referring to the art of deviled eggs and may have overcooked one or two in their day.

Don’t ever give up on your dream. No matter how trivial it may be it is worth achieving in the end. I’ve made a lot of bad deviled eggs over the past year and a half, but tonight I made the best egg ever.

Sincerely,
The Deviled Egg Master

No comments:

Post a Comment